Sunday, November 12, 2006

Black Lemurs!

Ah, the interesting little facts that you can learn from watching Animal Planet. You see I put it on for Boomer when we leave the house to keep him company while we are away. So we get home from seeing "The Prestige" last night, very good movie by the way, and it is on. There is a show about animals (of course) and strange things that they do. I am intrigued, so I watch for a few. In the process I learn two things:

1. Honey bees can indeed get drunk from eating the sap of lime trees and if they show up to the hive wasted too often the other worker bees rip off all their legs. That is crazy!

2. Black lemurs get high. Yes, you read it right. If they come across a giant red millipede they pick it up and anatagonize it by biting it's head. This causes the millipede to excrete all kinds of chemicals, including cyanide. The lemur licks the millipede and rubs the secretions all over it's fur because they also happen to be a great insect repellent. It works like morphine and gets them all crazy high and they start drooling and acting strange. This makes the lemurs happy and yes, they are addicted in some form.

I found this to be the highlight of my day. Lemurs do indeed get high! I'm going to Madagascar.

Ha.

No comments: